Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Holidays 2008 from Nicaragua - sent Dec 25, 2008

Dear Family and Friends,

It has been a while since the last update, what can we say, it has been a busy year.

Last night was no exception, we ended up spending midnight on Christmas Eve in the hospital with not one but 2 family patients. Luckily neither one was in serious condition, but in the emergency ward of a Managua hospital we saw many serious cases, mostly mixes of alcohol and accidents and a lot of blood, not a happy place to be as the usual Managua midnight fireworks started. Fabiola's mom had chest pains, so we took her in, and her cousin, in helping out her out, twisted her ankle. As fortune would have it, the chest pains were not heart related but stomach related and the twisted ankle was not broken. So all was well.

Still, we still feel this has been a much better holiday season than last year when Faby had recently been operated on and I was training as her nurse. I probably still need some courses, but I certainly learned things I never thought I would have to... So it is a good Christmas so far.

Our Christmas cards are a little late, but I guess sending them out tonight still counts.I haven't had much vacation or break yet this Xmas, although officially our office is closed from Dec 17-Jan 5, but I at least took yesterday and today off. Also, we are going to a wedding on Saturday and plan to travel north, around EstelĂ­ perhaps, for a few days before the new year. We are both looking forward to that.

2009 bodes well, so far, at least travel wise. We hope to be in Canadá in July for a certain sister's wedding and I may have to trav el to Malawi in March for a meeting. What else the year may hold in store for us is unclear, but we are ready for it, I think.

Well, we/I will sign off for now.

Good night, happy new year!
Rob and Faby

No comments: