Post Birthday Update #78212
Queridas/os amigas/os and familia,
I hope you are well. Life here in Nicaragua is going well. As I previously reported, Faby is now living here in Managua fulltime since Jan, so the plants and I are much happier now. She has taken a few months off to rest and now is starting to look for work. Although it is nice to have her around the house being domestic a lot, I think we will both be happier when she finds a job.
On Wednesday the 30th, I became officially another year older, and I still feel ok, in spite of the 37th year coming around the bend, I think I must be getting close to that midlife crisis. We had a small party last week with the work folk and celebrated last night with a friend's sister whose birthday was also yesterday. Both parties were good fun, dancing in the former and a really nice atmosphere in the latter (without alcohol). In the latter, with Maria Eugenia's family, they made me an excellent chocolate cake. In fact, I have received 5 cakes so far this last week or so. My "mother-in-law" made me 2. The dancing party was particularly good as well as we haven't been dancing in quite awhile; it's been a busy last few months.
Work at El Porvenir is going well, busy busy as usual. We are in planning right now for our upcoming fiscal year and I am making a new budget for next year, all that fun stuff. We are also hoping to open another office in the north of Nicaragua in 2008, hopefully we get some big bucks, but of course, I will be busy busy even more. On a positive note, there is some talk of making me the Executive Director. Even if it does not become official, it still is a sign that they are pleased with my work. Still, I don't think I will get a bodyguard. :-)
I am buying a bicycle tomorrow, so that is a good thing. It is a bit tricky cycling in Managua, but I am hoping to do it once or twice a week to get some physical activity back into my life.
We have had several visitors over the last couple of months, and great fun was had, even if the visits were short...
On a political note, the new government here in Nicaragua is on a superficial level is seemingly trying to do good things, but really it seems more like Daniel Ortega is just trying to consolidate his power. It will probably just go downhill from here. Even the good things like removing school fees have not been well thought out and now the schools are even more overcrowded and probably less effective. We continue to hope that the political situation will improve, but it does not look too good. At least we hope that some of the poor will benefit from the populist policies.
Well it is late, better run off to bed. Thanks to all that sent wishes for my bday, I hope to answer the emails over the next week or so...
Abrazos,
Rob
Las ausencias
10 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment